Family Lawyer in Perth

Happy Family LawFamily law covers all aspects of the law a typical family may need they include:

Married couples are governed by the Commonwealth Family Law Act. In Western Australia, their disputes are dealt with in the Family Court of Western Australia.

Defacto couples are governed by the Western Australian Family Court Act. Their disputes are normally dealt with in the Family Court of Western Australia.

Couples can seek orders about their children, property settlement or spousal maintenance from the Family Court. Please see our pages on:

At O’Sullivan Law we have vast experience in helping families in their time of need, while working diligently to achieve a positive outcome. One of the most frequently asked questions is about time limitations of claims

Time Limitation of Claims

Spousal maintenance and property settlement claims can only be commenced (without special leave of the Court) up to 12 months after your Divorce. To obtain the Court’s leave after that time you must show the Court a very good reason why proceedings were not started before the limitation period expired.

The limitation period for de facto couples is 2 years after the date that your de facto relationship ended.

The limitation periods do not apply to child related orders.

For more information regarding your particular circumstance just give one of our friendly staff a call on 08 6389 0305

Show Comments